Every BODY needs a BRAIN to go with it. To come back to full strength after a concussion, you have to give both of them a rest.
Step 1 | Save your brain. You’ll need it later.
If you get a concussion:
- You have to rest both your mind and your body
- You might miss some schoolwork, and that’s okay
- Make a plan with your teachers to make adjustments
- You might have to miss a game or two, but not the whole season
Step 2 |Brains: they’re not just zombie food.
the do nots
- Turn off your phone
- Wear sunglasses when you’re outside
- Stay home from school for a few days or only go for half days
- Cut down on your schoolwork
- Reduce all physical activity
- Don’t drive
- Don’t text, play video games, or go online
- Don’t go out with friends
- Don’t play any sports, in or out of school
- Don’t play sports until your doctor says it’s okay
Step 3 |make a plan
Tell your teachers right away that you have a concussion. They can:
- Give you extra time to turn in assignments
- Reduce your workload
- Give you ways to make up missed work
You want to get better, and not mess with your GPA. If you have a concussion, get this plan in place now.
fully recover if concussions are managed well during the first three weeks.
Step 4 |Miss one game, not your whole life.
The sooner you take care of your concussion, the sooner you can get back to your life.
most concussions only last a few weeks...
if you do the right things to get better. If you don’t, you could be missing all of the things you like for a very long time.
Putting it that way, missing one game isn’t that big of a deal.